Trunchbull Chocolate Cake
Measurement / Ingredient
2 cups Cake flour
3/4 cup Cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 cups Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Oil
2 Medium eggs
1 cup Boiling hot coffee
250 g Dark Chocolate chips
500 ml Heavy Cream
100 g Unsalted butter
250 g Icing sugar
30 ml Cocoa powder
It is inspired by one of my favourite childhood movies, Matilda: A rich and moist dark chocolate sponge with dark chocolate ganache and chocolate buttercream, a classic, without blood, sweat and tears.
This Recipe is a must to try out for any chocolate lover.
- Chocolate Cake:
- - Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- - Sieve all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- - Mix together the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and add to the dry ingredients.
- - Lastly, add the boiling hot coffee and stir well.
- - Pour into desired size cake tins and bake for 30 mins or until tester comes out clean.
- - Allow to cool completely before assembling and decorating.
- Chocolate Genache:
- - In a microwave dish, heat the chocolate and cream together until the chocolate has completely melted.
- - Use 1 minute intervals and stir in between.
- - Allow to cool to thicken.
- Chocolate buttercream:
- - Sieve cocoa powder and icing sugar together. Set aside.
- - Whisk butter to soft and gradually add icing mix alternating with the ganache until well mixed.
- - Place the buttercream in the refrigerator to stiffen.
- - For a classic chocolate cake, sandwich two sponge layers with buttercream and chocolate chips. Completely cover the outside of the cake with buttercream as well, use the ganche as a drip covering over the buttercream and top with more piped buttercream.
- - For a plated version, plate as desired and serve with coffee sabayon and chocolate decoration.
Pairing: Fresh hot coffee of your choice
Fresh hot coffee of your choice - Personally, I can’t have chocolate cake without a cup of hot coffee, especially this cake that has hot coffee in the sponge. A perfect milky latte or flat white is the perfect bal-ance for an already flavourful chocolate cake.