Spinach and camembert cannelloni with sauce Morné and homemade tomato jam
Measurement / Ingredient
2 Cups Flour
3 Large Eggs
3 tbs Olive Oil
125g Camembert (x2)
250ml Brown Bread Flour / Nutty Wheat
5g Fresh Oregano
1kg Swiss Chard
1 Onion (large)
3 Garlic Cloves
2.5 cm Ginger
1/4 Cayenne Chili
1 Ideal Evaporated Milk Tin
250g Ripe Tomato
2g Smoked Paprika
5 Line Tomatoes
10g Baby Spinach
I originally chose pasta, because it is my absolute go to dinner for friends and family. Pasta creates a warm happy atmosphere. I chose to go with this specific dish as it is affordable and easy but it looks like hours have been spent on it and when the first bite is taken, you just feel warm and comfy. I took a normal spinach cannelloni and just gave it a bit more love and attention.
- • Sieve flour and salt together. Make a well in the centre of flour in bowl. Place the eggs and olive oil in the middle.
- • Whisk and knead until a dough forms. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and rest in fridge with foil for 20 minutes.
- • Cover bottom of shaving dish with foil. Fill bottom with flour/wheat and herbs and sprinkle with a little water.
- • Place a cooling rack over and cover with foil and place over an open gas flame until smoke forms.
- • Cut camembert into 1⁄4 pieces.
- • Once smoke has formed, remove heat and very quickly add the cheese to the cooling rack. Smoke for 10-15 minutes.
- • Sauté onions in butter until slightly brown. Add chilli, garlic and ginger and sauté further.
- • Blanche greens in simmering water for 1-2 minutes and shock in a cold bath of water.
- • Cut greens into chiffonade and add to the onions and sauté for a further 5 min.
- • Add the flour gradually if butter is sufficient enough to make roux in the spinach.
- • Add milk gradually and constantly mix to avoid lumps until a stiff consistency.
- • Cook the roux and add seasoning and smoked paprika. Incorporate the cheese into spinach which must be cut in 1/8.
- • Roll out the pasta into thin sheets and cut into +/- 10cm x 15cm rectangles.
- • Cook sheets for 2 minutes in boiling water and shock in a cold bath of water.
- • Add the filling and roll the shell into cylinders.
- • Place onto baking tray and bake at 180 degrees for 8-10 minutes until andante.
- • Boil milk and add cut cheese to melt away. Season with salt, crushed pepper and paprika.
- • Cut tomatoes into 1⁄4 and place in a pot with sugar and seasoning.
- • Melt the sugar over low heat and stir constantly.
- • Once the sugar is melted, turn up to a high heat and boil until a jam stage (103-119 degrees).
- • Warm through tomato in pan.
- • Sauté spinach.
- Place cannelloni on plate and drizzle with camembert cheese and drops of jam. Garnish with fresh oregano.
- Serving Portion: 3 per person. Recipe yield: 2 persons.
Pairing: Klein Das Bosch Unwooded Chardonnay
Klein Das Bosch Unwooded Chardonnay - This is a smooth, medium-full style wine with good mango, ripe peach, citrus and lemon flavours. On the nose the wine shows ripe cultivar flavours which are well integrated with the citrus flavours and lemon toned palate.
021 880 0128