Butter Chicken Curry
Measurement / Ingredient
4 tsp Clarified Butter
1 Onion (medium)
2 tbs Spice Mix (Garam Masala, chilli, turmeric, wet masala, coriander and bay leaves)
2 Cinnamon Sticks
4 Cardamom Pods
8 Curry Leaves
1 Clove Garlic (chopped)
1 tbs Ginger (chopped)
1 Canned Tomatoes (chopped)
400g Chicken Breasts (cubed)
1 tsp Salt
2 tbs Honey
2 Cups Flour
4 tbs Butter/Margarine
1 Cup Boiling Water
2 tbs Oil
I love Indian food, the spices, the earthiness and the comfort that they provide with every bite. I also like enjoying a healthy lifestyle so with this dish I found a way of merging the two without sacrificing flavour or taste. I know they say never trust a skinny cook, but I say, “Always trust a healthy chef...they live longer”. This dish can be enjoyed by the entire family and the heat can be adjusted to make it less potent. The chicken can also be substituted with vegetables to make it a vegetarian dish. Seafood can also be added for pescatarians.
My take on a Butter Chicken Curry - It is a healthier version of the original with just as much flavour and taste with less of the calories.
- Butter Chicken:
- - Heat the clarified butter on medium heat.
- - Add cinnamon sticks, cardamom, bay leaves and curry leaves.
- - Cook in the spice mix without burning for 30 seconds while stirring constantly. Add onion and fry until the onions have cooked through.
- - Add the chopped garlic and ginger.
- - Directly after that, add you canned tomatoes.
- - Cook the gravy for 3 minutes.
- - Put the chicken into the gravy to cook for 5 minutes.
- - Season with salt.
- - Add the knob of butter, followed by honey and then cream.
- - Once everything is combined and cooked add coriander.
- - Serve with rice or roti and a chutney.
- - Rub the butter/margarine into the flour.
- - Sprinkle with salt.
- - Add boiling water to the dry ingredients.
- - Knead the mixture until soft. It will become pliable dough. Cover with a tea towel.
- - Punch a ball of dough and make into a flat round bread. In a hot pan, add a very little bit of clarified butter.
- - Fry until brown with a few bubbles forming then turn.
Pairing: Môreson Mercator Chardonnay 2014
Môreson Mercator Chardonnay 2014 - Awards: Double Gold Veritas 2013. 4 1/2 stars John Platter Guide 2013/2014. Chardonnay du Monde Gold Medal (2004 and 2007). Veritas Double Gold Medal 2009. Diamond Award 2010 Winemakers' Choice Awards. Diners Club Young Winemaker of the Year 2009.
Colour: Golden straw hue.
Aroma: Upfront sweet white fruit with a buttery roundness and subtle hints of crème brûlée.
Palate: The complex sweet-citrus buttery flavour perfectly balances the Mercator Premium Chardonnay aroma. A full mouth-feel and moreish finish complete the experience.
021 876 3055