Beef Sirloin with Caramelised Shallots, Parmesan Mash Potato and crispy carrots.
Measurement / Ingredient
200g Beef Sirloin
60ml Balsamic Vinegar
15ml Cooking Oil
2 White Onion (quartered)
60g Parmesan Cheese (finely grated)
1 Carrot (large)
2 Star Aniseed
10ml Black Pepper
1 Rosemary Sprig
I chose the dish as it was inspired by my parents. In high school and college I would have friends and family over for dinners, lunches and cook outs.. This dish represents the support and love I’ve gotten and its one I’d serve to my loved ones and friends as a sign of appreciation. Its a harty south African dish full of flavour that has been prepared with love and gratitude.
- - Julienne white onions and sauté in a pan with 20g of butter until soft for 2-3 minutes.
- - Add balsamic vinegar and simmer for 1 minute with star aniseed.
- - Add 40g sugar into the shallots and cook for a further 1 minute.
- - Preheat over to 160 degrees.
- - Wash and peel carrots; using a slicer, slice thin sheets of the carrot.
- - In a saucepan, add 5g butter, honey and carrot and cook until carrots are coated.
- - Remove form saucepan and place onto a baking sheet.
- - Bake or grill the carrots at 160 degrees until crispy.
- - Peel potatoes and add to pot with salt and bring to boil (10 minutes).
- - Drain off the potatoes and pass through sieve into a bowl.
- - Add butter, and salt for taste. Add the cream and parmesan cheese.
- Beef Sirloin:
- - Season the beef sirloin with salt and pepper and cooking oil and set aside.
- - Place a griddle pan on medium heat.
- - Place the beef on the griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side till medium rare.
- - Rest the sirloin and begin assembling the dish.
Kleine Zalze Cellar selection Pinotage 2015 - This is a very elegant expression of Pinotage. On the bouquet there are notes of ripe, red fruit with floral tones and hints of lavender. The flavours follow through on the palate which also has a firm yet elegant tannin structure that will allow the wine to mature well over the next 5-8 years. This wine is delightful on its own but can be successfully paired with hot curry dishes or wintery stews.
021 880 0717